Crispy Chilli Beef
Team Haloodiefoodie’s take on this classic Indo-Chinese dish, Crispy Chill Beef. Thin strips of lightly battered beef steak strips with a subtlety sweet, spicy and tangy sauce. Definitely a mouthwatering recipe and perfect for a quick yet flavoursome, wholesome heartwarming weekday meal. YUM!
Beef Strips marinade and batter
- 600 g rump steaks, cut into 1cm strips
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 large egg
- 4 tbsp cornflour; seasoned with salt and pepper
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tsp garlic and ginger paste
- 1 cup tomato ketchup
- ½ cup water
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 carrot, julienne cut
- ½ tsp sesame seeds
- 1 sprig spring onion, sliced
- 1 large red chilli, sliced
- Medium egg noodles
- Cut rump steaks into 1cm strips and season with soy sauce, sesame oil and egg.
- Coat marinated beef strips in seasoned cornflour.
- In 3 batches, deep fry in 180⁰C oil until the beef strips become lightly golden brown. Drain on a tissue-lined plate.
- Raise the temperature of the oil to 220⁰C
- Flash fry all the beef strips for a second time for a minute. The double fry will make the beef strips very crispy.
- Make the sauce by mixing tomato ketchup, water, soy sauce, chilli flakes and honey.
- Sauté the sliced onion in a little oil until softened and become translucent then add the garlic & ginger paste.
- Add the sauce to the onions.
- Add carrot juliennes and cook for 2 minutes then turn off the heat.
- Mix in the crispy fried beef.
- Garnish with sesame seeds, spring onion and red chilli.
- Chalo kawa!