Foodiechief's Chana Masala is the quintessential accomplishment to Laccha Parathas.
- 2 tin chick peas (reserve water from the tins)
- 75 ml sunflower oil
- 1 medium onion, finely sliced
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- salt to taste
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- ¼ tsp cumin powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 2 dried red chillis
- 1 tsp kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- ½ tsp garam masala
See full recorded recipe video below
- Fry mustard seeds and dried chillies in oil.
- Once the mustard seeds start to pop, add the onions & kasuri methi and fry on high heat.
- When the onions start to brown on the edges add the minced garlic and ginger.
- When the garlic and ginger become fragrant add; cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, chilli powder and salt (you can add Foodiechief's Karahi masala and Kashmiri chilli paste).
- Add a squirt of tomato puree.
- Fry masala for a minute (have water close by, do not let the spices burn).
- Add your chick peas and 'Bhun' for a few mins.
- Cover with reserved chick pea water and 1½ cups water.
- Simmer for 20 minutes (mid-way crush few chickpeas with the back of your spoon)
- Finish the dish by mixing in ½ teaspoon of garam masala and ½ teaspoon of kasuri methi.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and serve with piping hot puri.