Adana Kebabs grilled over smouldering embers then wrapped in Lavash bread, topped with a rich and tangy tomato sauce and served with a garlicky yogurt sauce. This dish is finished with foaming butter!
- 1 Charcoal BBQ (you can cook on gas too or if all else fails under the grill)
- 1 kg lamb or beef mince, 80:20 meat to fat blend (ask your Desi butcher for kebab mince, if they don't understand the 80:20 blend you can use beef mince too DO NOT WASH the mince)
- 15 g salt, 1.5% of meat
- 1 whole red pepper, finely diced
- 4 tbsp urfa pepper
- 4 tbsp sumac
- 2 tbsp cumin powder
- 1 cup parsley leaves
- lavash bread (or tortilla wraps)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tsbp olive oil
- 500 ml passata
- salt and pepper, to taste
Garlic yogurt sauce
- 250 g Greek yogurt
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Its important you use a 80:20 blend of meat to fat.
- Do not wash the mince! Otherwise, your kebabs won't stick.
- Chop the red pepper and the parsley into a fine paste then add the pepper/parsley mixture to the meat.
- Once you make a course paste, add the pepper & parsley paste to the mince.
- Add the salt (1.5%).
- Add the urfa pepper (isot), sumac and cumin. Thoroughly mix all the ingredients until the kebab mix sticks to your hand.
- The mixture should become sticky and the fat will coat the side of the mixing bowl. It should take around 5-10 minutes (depending on your fat content and the speed of your mixing!).
- Keep the mixture refrigerated until you’re ready to cook the kebabs.
Loading the skewers
- Load the skewers by placing a large ball of kebab mixture down onto a flat skewer, squeeze the mixture down the skewer until you get an even, thin layer across the skewer.
- The skewer should not be visible through the meat.
Grilling the Kebabs
- Place the kebabs over smoldering charcoal. Adjust the heat by either lowering your charcoal bed or spreading out the coals. Start to grill the tomatoes and Turkish green chillies.
- Turn every 15-45 seconds (depending on the heat of your BBQ).
- Place the kebabs in-between the lavash bread/tortilla wraps and slide the skewer clean out!
- Make equal diagonal cuts along the wrapped kebab.
- When the tomatoes and Turkish green chillies are charred remove from the heat.
Sauces & assembly
- Tomato Sauce:Saute the onions in olive oil until they become translucent, add the passata and simmer for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Garlic Yogurt:Combine Greek style yogurt, garlic, lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Melt the butter over the coals.
- Arrange the wrapped pieces of kebab around a large plate. Add the garlic yogurt into the centre of the plate. Pour the tomato sauce on top of the wrapped kebab pieces.
- Melt the butter over the coals until it starts to foam. Finally, place the grilled Turkish green chillies and tomatoes around the sides and drizzle foaming butter on top just before serving.
- Chalo Kawa!