Traditionally eaten as a perfect side dish with Kari Kitchri or even delicious on its own with fresh roti. The addition of fish sauce add umami to a wonderful spiced and subtly pungent curry leaves and chilli infused dish.
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 2 whole green chillies; or can use dried
- 10 curry leaves; ideally fresh but can use dried
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- ½ tsp turmeric powder (haldi/arad)
- ¾ tsp coriander powder
- ¼ tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp fish sauce (optional but adds extra flavour)
- salt to taste
- coriander leaves chopped for garnish
- 5 medium sized potatoes cut into 1cm cubes
- Temper mustard seeds, whole cumin, whole chillis and 10 curry leaves in oil until they start to pop.
- Add garlic and ginger paste, turmeric, salt, chilli, coriander and cumin powders. Saute for around 30 seconds until the spices become fragrant.
- Add potatoes and mix thoroughly. Cook on medium to high heat to get a crust around some of the edges of the potatoes.
- Add fish sauce mixed with a couple of tablespoons of water. Lower heat until the potatoes are cooked through.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and green chillies (if you're feeling like Momma HF).