Braised Beef Ribs
Beefy, tender, gelatinous, unctuous and outrageously good.
- 2 kg beef ribs (www.hillfarmfinest.com)
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 1 carrot, roughly chopped
- 1 stick celery, diced
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 250 ml chicken stock (home-made)
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed or diced roughly
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 springs rosemary
- ½ tsp dried thyme (fresh is better)
- salt to taste
- oil for searing the Beef Ribs
- water, as required (filtered if possible)
- 1 red chilli, for garnishing
- chives, for garnishing
- Remove excess external fat from the beef ribs.
- Dry brine the beef ribs and sear on medium heat until browned.
- After the beef ribs have been seared, add the onion, carrot and celery.
- Add the tomato puree.
- Saute the tomato puree for a few minutes.
- Deglaze the pan by adding the chicken stock and vinegar.
- Add the smashed garlic, rosemary, bay leaves and add some filtered water.
- Add salt, less is better at the moment.
- Add ½ tsp dried thyme and add the browned beef ribs into the pot. Make sure beef ribs are covered. Top up with water, if required.
- Bring the braised beef ribs to a simmer, then drop the temperature down to the lowest setting and cook for 6 hours.
- Check for tenderness after 4 hours.
- After 6 hours, take out the beef ribs and keep them aside. Strain out the vegetables from the beef stock
- Refrigerate the beef ribs and the strained beef stock in covered containers, overnight.
- Remove the fat from the stock.
- Add the beef stock into a wide pan and reduce down the beef stock on a medium to low heat
- Bring up to a slow simmer, whilst remove excess scum from the stock.
- Whilst the beef stock is reducing. Remove the beef rib bones and any sinew that you may find underneath the bones (Optional)
- The beef jus should be thick and luxurious, with a wonderful sheen.
- Add a little water and add the beef rib pieces back into the pan. Slowly reheat the beef ribs on a low heat, covered.
- Toss the beef ribs in the beef jus, whislt the beef ribs are still cold. To avoid breaking the beef ribs.
- Reheat the beef ribs until they are tender.
- Serve with creamy polenta and garnish with red chilli, chives and sesame.