Chicken Chapli Kebabs
A white meat version of a South Asian classic, these Chicken Chappli are meaty, juicy and flavoursome!
- 1 kg chicken thigh or leg mince, (If you're using chicken breast, add extra fat)
- 2 medium onions, diced and squeezed
- 2 medium tomatoes, deseeded and diced
- 2 birds eye chillies, finely diced
- 2½ tsp coriander powder
- 15 g salt
- 1½ tsp pomegranate seeds
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp chilli flakes
- 3 tbsp gram flour/besan, dry roasted in a pan
- ½ tsp garam masala
- Mix together chicken thigh mince (ratio 80:20; meat:fat), diced onions with excess liquid squeezed out, tomatoes deseeded and chopped and birdseye chillies.
- Ensure that the diced onions have their liquid squeezed out, as moisture is the enemy of kebabs.
- Mix until the mixture become sticky and starts sticking to your hands.
- If you are using chicken breast or grilling over hot coals, add extra fat. This will ensure the kebabs remain juicy.
- Add coriander powder, salt, cumin powder, chilli flakes, pomegranate seeds, roasted gram flour and garam masala. Mix for a further 5 minutes to equally distribute the spices.
- Make 100g patties.
- You can use a Birds Eye Custard box to shape the patty.
- Optional: Push in a slice of tomato into the kebab.
- Shallow fry the kebabs in a neutral oil, such as sunflower oil.
- Cook on a medium heat to ensure the chicken is cooked through.
- Flip when the kebabs develop a nice crust.
- Serve with lemon, mint & coriander chutney, red onion sliced and naan.Chalo Kawa!
Very easy, tasted delicious 😋
Aww. Thanks for the feedback.
I prepped these on the weekend froze them and made it yesterday – it was a nice after work quick but filling meal mashallah. Instead of frying the kebabs I placed them under the grill till brown on both sides. Hubby enjoyed them too mashallah. Jzk for sharing the recipe.
Jzk Afsana Bhen,
Thanks for the awesome feedback. Can’t wait to see some of your epic cooks on our social media.
Dua ma khas yaad!