Butter Chicken (Murgh Makhani)
Team Haloodiefoodie's take on the Punjabi Murgh Makhani, or commonly known as Butter Chicken. Grilling the chicken adds to unique smokey element to the luxuriously rich and creamy tomato sauce.
- 1 kg boneless chicken thigh
- 2 tbsp garlic paste
- 3.5 tsp ginger paste
- 5 green chillies, minced or diced finely
- 1 juice of one lemon
- 1 tsp Kashmiri chilli paste
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- salt to taste
- 1.5 tbsp garam masala
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil
- 250 g yoghurt
- 100 g butter
- 500 ml passata
- 200 ml water
- 2 tsp honey
- 4 tsp kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- 100 ml Double cream Plus 20ml for garnish
- 1 tsp Ground black pepper
- Marinate boneless chicken thighs (for at least an hour) in the following: 1tbsp garlic paste, 2tsp ginger paste, 3 diced green chillies, juice of one lemon, 2tsp garam masala, 1tsp Kashmiri chilli paste, 1tsp chilli powder, 1½tsp salt (or to taste), 3tbsp oil and 250ml yoghurt.
- Then cook over hot coals, bake, grill or pan fry until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 75°C.
- Whilst the chicken is cooking, make the Makhani sauce by combining the following ingredients and reducing down on a low heat for 15 minutes;100g butter, 500ml passata, 200ml water, 1tbsp garlic paste, 1½tsp ginger paste, 1tsp garam masala and 2 green chillies diced.
- After the sauce has thickened sufficiently finish the Makhani sauce with the following ingredients:2tsp honey, 1tsp black pepper, 4tsp kasuri methi, 100ml double cream and salt to taste.Cut the chicken thighs into bitesize pieces.
- Add chicken to the Makhani sauce.
- Garnish with swirls of double cream and crushed kasuri methi. Serve with Naan or Pilau rice. Enjoy!!