Crispy Chilli Oil
Indulge in our ultimate crispy chilli oil recipe, a masterpiece of umami-rich goodness. Sichuan peppercorns gently tingle your tongue with a subtle numbing sensation, while the hot and savoury blend of flavours creates a delightful contrast. The crispy chilli oil tantalizes your palate with a combination of hot, numbing, and rich flavours that effortlessly combine savoury, sweet, and spicy notes. The contrasting elements of saltiness and crispiness add a satisfying textural dimension, while the hint of fatty goodness lingers on your tongue, creating an unforgettable experience. This versatile condiment adds an unforgettable touch to noodles, dumplings, eggs, and even desserts! (try on vanilla ice cream and thank me later!)
- 1 large saucepan or frying pan
- 6 shallots/small onions, thinly sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 whole star anise
- 250 ml sunflower oil (or any flavour neutral oil)
- 1½ tbsp chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp sichuan peppercorns (crushed)
- 2 tbsp chilli powder
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp MSG powder (optional, but adds a savoury depth to the chilli oil)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1½ tsp sesame seeds
- Thinly slice the shallots and garlic.
- Add the oil to a heavy duty saucepan or frying pan over medium heat.
- Add sliced shallots and sliced garlic to the oil.
- Followed by the cinnamon stick, bay leaf and star anise.
- Stir occasionally to ensure even browning.
- Whilst the onions and garlic fries in the hot oil. Add the chilli flakes, sichuan peppercorns, salt, chilli powder, sugar, salt and MSG into a heat-proof bowl and mix well.
- When the shallot and garlic becomes golden and crispy remove from the oil using a fine-meshed strainer.
- Allow the hot shallot and garlic oil to cool for a few minutes. You want a temperature of around 120°C, then pour the infused oil into the bowl of dry spices and mix well to combine.
- Remove the cinnamon stick, bay leaf and star anise from the crispy onions and garlic.
- Add the shallots and garlic to the chilli oil. Allow to cool until it reaches room temperature. Then add the sesame seeds and soy sauce.
- Mix well and store in a sealed container at room temperature for a few weeks or in the fridge for 6 months.
- This versatile condiment adds an unforgettable touch to noodles, dumplings, eggs, and even desserts!