Garlic, honey & soy chicken
Our take on a Chinese takeaway classic. Your taste buds will be blown away by the flavour combination of crispy chicken and the umami packed sauce made from garlic, soy and honey.
- 1 kg skinless chicken thigh Cut into medium-sized strips. You could use chicken breast, but please try thighs. #thighsbeforefriesbeforeguys
- 60 g corn flour
- 30 g strong white bread flour use plain flour, if you dont have the strong bread flour.
- 1 tsp table salt
- ½ tsp white pepper powder
- oil for shallow frying
- 5 medium garlic cloves finely diced
- ½ medium onion finely diced
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup or tomato puree
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp chilli flakes or to taste
- ½ tsp MSG optional
- 50 ml water you can add more water, if you want a saucier dish.
- 1 spring onion, green section only. sliced finely
- 1 small red chilli sliced finely
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
Cornflour slurry (Optional, if you sauce is too watery)
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 2 tbsp water
- Today we are sharing our take on garlic, honey and soy chicken.
- Coat the chicken strips in the flour coating, shake off the excess flour (unlike me), and shallow fry in batches at medium-high heat (180°C) until the chicken is golden brown on all sides. Remove the chicken from the hot oil. Leave to drain on a tissue-lined plate.You can also deep fry the chicken.
- Once the chicken has been fried take out all the oil, leaving 1 tbsp oil to fry the aromatics.
- Fry garlic in hot oil until it becomes fragrant. Around 30s. Add diced onions.
- Fry until the onions brown on the edges. Taking care not to burn the garlic & onions.
- Make a sauce from soy sauce, vinegar, tomato ketchup, honey, chilli flakes and water. Add to the sautéed onions & garlic.
- Simmer the sauce until it thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon.If you want a saucy dish, simmer for one minute then add the chicken.If the sauce is too watery, you can add a cornflour slurry by mixing 1 tbsp cornflour with 2 tbsp water. Add to sauce and bring to the simmer.
- Add the chicken and thoroughly mix through. Turn off the heat.Garnish with sliced spring onions, red chilli and sesame seeds.
- Serve with white rice or noodles. Chalo khawa
- How does it taste?