Grilled Lemon Pepper wings
Tender, succulent chicken wings infused with the invigorating essence of zesty lemons, a dash of heat, and a subtle touch of sweetness. Yes, we're talking about none other than Grilled Lemon Pepper Wings! From the moment I first savoured these delectable wings during my visit to Baltimore, Maryland, USA. I knew I had stumbled upon something truly special. The combination of the citrusy punch, the tantalising zing, and the mild yet exciting heat from the chillies left an indelible mark on my taste buds.
- Lidded BBQ
Lemon pepper seasoning per kg Chicken
- 2 tbsp grated lemon zest (2 lemons). dehydrated in the microwave
- 1 tbsp coarsely ground pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp sugar
- ½ tsp citric acid
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp MSG optional
- 1 kg Chicken wings
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp lemon pepper seasoning
Lemon pepper wings sauce
- 100 g unsalted butter melted
- 1½ tsp chilli powder
- 3 tbsp lemon pepper seasoning
- 1½ tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- salt to taste
Dry brining the chicken
- Dry brine the chicken with ½ tsp of table salt per kg chicken and add the lemon juice. Refrigerate for at least an hour.
Making the Lemon Pepper seasoning
- Zest 2 lemons using a microplane or the small holes of a box grater
- Dehydrate the lemon jest by microwaving on high heat for 2 mins. Check the zest after one minute
- The dehydrated lemon zest will become dry and crumbly. Add the dehydrated lemon zest to the ground pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, chilli powder, sugar, citric acid, cayenne pepper and MSG (if using).
- Dry brine and add lemon juice to the wings. Refrigerate for at least an hour.
Setting up your BBQ
- Setup your BBQ grill for indirect cooking. Apply the lemon pepper seasoning liberally on all sides of the chicken.
- Close the lid and cook until the internal temperature reaches above 75°C. Alternatively cook in the oven at gas mark 6 (200°C).
Making the lemon pepper wings sauce
- Melt the butter, then add the lemon pepper seasoning, chilli powder, lemon juice, honey, mayonnaise and salt. Whisk together.
- Continue whisking until the sauce emulsifies and comes together. Note: Butter-based sauce will thicken and solidify if it becomes cold. If this happens, you can reheat the sauce bowl by placing it over a bowl of hot water or over the indirect side of the grill (ensure you have a heat-safe bowl!)
Searing the chicken skin
- When the chicken reaches an internal temperature of above 75°C move the chicken over the hot coals.
- Continue to sear the chicken to crisp up the skin until you get a nice crust.
Saucing the wings
- Dip the wings in the lemon pepper sauce. Alternatively, you can toss the wings with the sauce in the mixing bowl.
- Chalo kawa, come let's eat.
- How does it taste??