Do you want to learn how to cook the most amazing juicy, meaty burgers with an amazing crust? The secret is in the smash!
- 1 carbon steel/cast iron griddle You can use a heavy bottomed frying pan.
- 1 plastering trowel
- 1 catering scrapper
- 1 kg Burger mince 70:30 Meat to fat ratio. I used Hill Farm finest. DO NOT WASH the mince!
- salt as required
- pepper as required
- 6 Brioche burger buns or the buns of your choice
- Iceburg lettuce sliced thinly
- sliced pickled gherkins Aka dill pickles
- burger sauce optional
- Beef bacon jam optional
- Processed cheese slices
- Make 2oz patties from a 70:30 mince blend. DO NOT WASH the mince!
- Preheat the griddle/plancha until it's smoking hot.
- Toast the burger buns. Add your condiments to the burger buns.
- The buns toast very fast. I check if the plancha/griddle is hot enough by spraying a little water onto the surface.
- If the water balls up and moves across the surface and vapourises, the plancha/griddle is hot enough.
- Add the burger patty balls into the plancha/griddle, ensuring you are keeping enough space between the patties. Smash down with equal force using the plastering trowel.
- Rock the plastering trowel side to side to slowly release the trowel from the patties.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- When you see bubbles of liquid on the surface of the patties, it's time to flip using a catering scraper.
- Add the processed cheese to half of the patties. Add more slices if you are feeling indulgent.
- After 10 seconds the cheese will start to melt. Place one patty on top of the other.
- Add the optional tomato and beef bacon chutney.
- Add the patties on top of the pre-toasted burger buns.
- Chalo kawa. #trustthecrust
Burger timelapse. The cook time is approx 2 mins
- Burger timelapse: Part 1
- Burger timelapse: Part 2
- What can I use instead of a plastering trowel?
- Did you wash your mince?
- Do you add any oil or butter to the griddle?
- Can I make Smash burgers in my kitchen?
- Where can I get the burger smashing tool from?
- What Brioche burger buns did you use?
- Can I use Lamb mince?
- Tomato and Beef bacon relish recipe please?
- What other chutneys or relishes go with the smash burgers?
- How much does a smash burger cost?
- How can I make smash burgers in my kicthen with the usual utensils?
Nice easy one to follow bro! love a real smash burger!
It’s so quick and easy. The prep is the hardest part of the recipe!