Mrs Haloodiefoodies Chicken Pie
Mrs Haloodiefoodie Creamy chicken and vegetable pie. It's meaty, buttery and velvety; this is the ultimate winter warming dish.
Chicken pie filling
- 1 kg skinless chicken thighs cut in 2cm cubes
- 25 g unsalted butter
- 2 medium onions diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp green chilli paste
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 2 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 450 g potatoes cut in 2cm cubes
- 1 large carrot cut in 1.5cm cubes
- 1 courgette cubed
- 100 g sweetcorn
- 300 g mushrooms closed cup or chestnut mushrooms
- 25 g unsalted butter for sauteing mushrooms
- ½ tsp garlic paste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 5 tbsp flour approx 25g
- 25 g butter
- 1 litre whole milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 250 g cheddar cheese
- 1 roll storebought puff or shortcrust pastry – Make sure its halal!
- Saute the diced onions and a bay leaf in butter.
- When the onions become translucent, add garlic and ginger paste, green chillis, salt, black pepper and chilli flakes.
- Saute for a few minutes to cook out the rawness of the spices.
- Add cubed chicken thighs, mix and cook uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Cover and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add diced potatoes and cubed carrot and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the cubed courgette and sweetcorn and give it a mix. Continue cooking until the water evaporates, around 15 – 20 minutes.
- At the same time, saute the mushrooms in butter and minced garlic in a separate saucepan. Season to taste.
- Once the chicken mixture has cooled, add the sauteed mushrooms.
- A] In a pan, melt butter on a low heat.B] Gradually add the flour, whisking quickly to mix together. Cook this for approximately 5 minutes, until the mixture becomes brown and releases a nutty aroma.C] Slowly add the milk and whisk until all the milk has been incorporated. If the sauce becomes too lumpy, use a hand blender to remove lumps.D] Season with salt and pepper and mixed herbs. Simmer on medium heat for 2 minutes.
- E] Remove from heat and whisk in 150g of cheddar cheese.
- Whisk the white sauce slowly to avoid thinning.
Pie filling construction
- Mix the white sauce into the chicken and vegetable mixture. Taste for spices and adjust to your preference. Transfer the mixture to an oven tray or pyrex dish and allow the filling to cool.
- Cut pre-rolled pastry sheets into strips.
- Make a simple lattice.
- Check the lattice fits your pie dish.
- Carefully flip the pastry onto the pie dish.
- Egg wash the pastry and bake in a 180°C pre-heated oven (gas mark 4) for 40 minutes.
- After the pie has cooked and the pastry is golden, remove from the oven and rest for at least 10 minutes.
- Serve with pan-fried tender stem broccolli and steamed carrots.
- Chalo kawa.
- Which pastry did you use?
- Do you add pastry to the sides and bottom of the pie?
- Why chicken thighs, and not chicken breast?
- Did you put the filling over the pastry?
- Can you use Jusrol pastry which contains alcohol?
- How do you flip the pastry, if you dont have the skills of Mrs HF?
- How do you flip the pastry, if you don't have the skills of Mrs HF? Another great suggestion.