Thai Grilled Chicken: Gai Yang
Looking for an umami rich grilled chicken recipe? Gai Yang is the answer. Filled with savoury depth and earthy goodness, with a hint of citrus acidity, this recipe blew us away.
- 1 whole chicken or 1kg whole skin on chicken thighs
- 8 garlic cloves
- 3 shallots or 1 medium sized onion
- 1/3 bunch coriander leaves plus 12 stalks
- 3 tbsp light brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground white pepper
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tsp kecup manis
- 3 stalks lemongrass, woody ends removed
- 1/2 tsp tamarind paste
- 2 red chillies (optional)
- 4 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp oil
- Using a blender/food processor, make a paste using the following ingredients;garlic cloves, shallots or one medium onion, coriander, light brown sugar, ground white pepper, turmeric powder, coriander powder, fish sauce, dark soy sauce, kecap manis, lemongrass stalks, tamarind paste, chopped red chillies (optional), water and oil.You can make a smooth or rough paste.
- Add the spice paste to the chicken and mix. Leave to marinate for an hour.
- Setup your BBQ grill for indirect cooking.Alternatively cook in the oven at gas mark 6 (200°C).
- Cook until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 75°C.
- Sear over hot coals to get a crust.Alternatively, you can place under a hot grill.
- Garnish with coriander leaves, sliced red chilliesServe with sticky rice and Thai-style sweet chilli dipping sauce