Born out of the British colonisation of India. This dish is a perfect marriage of fiery pungency of ginger and mustard and a subtle sweetness of chicken and fried vegetables.
- 1 kg chicken thighs, cubed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 2 tsp ginger paste
- 0.5 tsp turmeric powder (haldi/arad)
- 1.5 tsp Kashmiri chilli paste or 1tsp Kashmiri chilli powder
- 1 onion, cut into large chunks
- 1/2 red pepper, cut into large chunks
- 1/2 green pepper, cut into largr chunks
- 3 green chillies, sliced lengthwise
Rich Tomato base
- 2 tbsp ghee (clarified butter) or oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1.5 tsp cumin powder
- 1.5 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tin plum tomatos, chopped
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- salt, to taste
- 1 tsp mustard oil
- 1/4 cup water, as required
- 1 tsp kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- Marinate the chicken thighs with salt, garlic and ginger paste, turmeric powder and Kashmiri chilli paste.
- Saute the vegetables in smoking hot oil until they brown around the edges but are still crunchy.
- Fry the marinated chicken thighs in batches until they are brown on all sides.
- Once the first batch has fried remove and place on a plate. Repeat until all the chicken thighs has been fried.
- Once all the chicken has been fried, fry cumin seeds in the same oil (you may need to top-up the oil).
- Fry the onions until they have browned around the edges, add the garlic and ginger paste.
- After the garlic and ginger paste become fragrant add cumin powder, coriander powder, chilli powder, tomato ketchup, tinned plum tomatoes, and tomato puree.
- Add 1/4 cup water and reduce down the tomato sauce for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Add the pan fried chicken, including all the juices.
- Simmer until the chicken is cooked, around 5 minutes.
- Add the kasuri methi and the garam masala, followed by the fried vegetables.
- Finish with a drizzle of mustard oil.
- Garnish with coriander leaves. Chalo Kawa!
I cooked this today and once again the final product was just delicious and very tasty. This was my third recipe I’ve followed. Can’t wait to try more.
Thanks for the feedback. You need to try every recipe and give a rating for each one.
Turned out delicious!
I tried this recipe and was asked to make it again.
Jzk for your feedback. I’m glad you enjoyed the recipe.